Sunday, February 20, 2011

One remaining brain cell

A weekend that involved feeling par-boiled and rushed in Sydney has left me with one functional remaining Brain cell. (Her name is Beryl). Beryl has been set the task of telling you about Abby.
I realised tonight when I went trawling Abby's blog for photos that I have been reading Abby's blog for longer than I have had a blog myself. I have no idea how I first stumbled upon Abby's blog but I do remember that sharp intake of breathe. I could not believe someone could create such life-like creatures from fabric.


Abby has just recently released her first book, and it brings me to a terrible secret. I very very rarely buy craft books, and even less often buy crafty magazines. (I know I should be kicked out of blogland,) but there was never ever a chance in the world I wouldn't be buying this one. This book is just beautiful - hundreds of photographs of each step. A huge amount of tips and tricks, those beautiful feet and teeny tiny beaks.....



and apart from all her talent, Abby is a really great person , go and check out her blog , see the costumes and the crafts she makes with her kids. She generously shares her knowledge and skills - Right now Abby is working through a whole series on the Elements of Soft Toy design...and it is fantastic. She is sharing so much- covering gussets and joints and stuffing and openings and everything you need to know about soft toy design....I am learning so much from Abby and also from all the people who leave informative comments. This series is sooo worth bookmarking ( it should be Abby's next book). If you are interested in sewing soft toys or designing you own, you can't afford to miss this series, at the very least you need to get over and check out her portfolio.
I'd love to know which bird takes your fancy. I love the Lark Bunting and snow bird - and the owls just kill me.
(Edited to add, Poor old Beryl,perhaps the task was too much for her...she forgot to send the "hit publish" instruction last night.)

30 comments:

  1. Hehehe - for as long as I can remember my father has had only one brain cell, named Ernest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been lusting over this book for a couple of months now - I'm am SO getting it (hinting for Valentine's day didn't work); but I had no idea she had a blog!

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her white rooster Jodie and what a clever lady.
    cheers shez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fabulous read to add to my overflowing shelves, thank you! I love your little world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time you have to go to Sydney I would be more than happy to offer my services as your personal, official envoy... sacrificing my (albeit limited)grey matter for the chance to hang about it my old stomping ground - where sushi & opshops abound - sounds like the perfect sacrifice...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your one remaining brain cell must be a good one! and has taken up all of the brain space cos your brain always works well. Love the book suggestion, I adore her work too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beryl I think you did a great job , I love the look of all this .
    Thanks Beryl you may rest now .

    ReplyDelete
  8. The softie making series has been making my head explode... I think I need to buy that book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Beryl for the link to the softie series, that's just what I need! I've still embarassingly never made a softie, I think I will be thrown out of blogland first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such beautiful art. I love bird number six in her nest of thread series, but I'm partial to red and all shades thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some people just have an abundance of talent. How amazing are those birds. I'm off to visit Abby's blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Beryl you have served Jodie well. LOVE the book some people are so very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jodie! I must confess I'm a reluctant softie maker, although this book would be the perfect excuse to overcome my fears!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beryl is firing on all cylinders....what a fabulous book and those tutorials! She makes so much sense and makes it look easy :-) I think my mum would love that book, she loves birds, thanks for the links Jodie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, so now that I've had a chance to look through all her delights, I would like to say that I am a baby peacock, or a red owl, or an owl by the stairs, or a canary (all of which pull at me because they're fancy or wise or sweet or beautiful); I would like to say I'm a loop raptor in white because to be both elegant and quirky is quite a feat; and I love all of the roosters for their colour and personality; but if we're to pick the one that is most like us, it would be the wren. I'm a simple girl when it comes down to it, I like a pop of colour (red being my favourite) and when I look at that little bird, she just seems so very "Kit". :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Par-boiled in Sydney is becoming unfortunately all too common an event lately. Glad you survived it albeit with a reduction in grey matter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh... I love the canary, bluebirds, owls, wren, ... and I've only looked at the first section!! GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know it's not a bird... and that I'm totally not answering the question you asked... but I'm loving the goldfish the most! I want a pretend tank of Abby's goldfish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank Beryl - great job!

    birdies - penguins!????

    ReplyDelete
  20. The book looks fantastic! I can only dream of being that creative and original!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I preordered this book because I was SO excited to get my hands on it. It did not disappoint - LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you Beryl - a really lovely book to look out for!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, her birds are indeed beautiful!
    Just to let you know that I have nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award and included a link to your blog on my blog www.sinkingonbrink.blogspot.com, there is no prize but it could improve your blog traffic.

    Kind regards

    Lucy (Lucy loo's)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for your kind, sweet words about my work! I'm so flattered. I'm thrilled that The Arftul Bird is a reality and it is great to see it out in the world at long last! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't want to tax you or Beryl. Just wanted to say that you really make me laugh. I always enjoy your blog, and was pleasantly surprised to have you comment on my blog. Thank you for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jodie,
    My brain cell hasn't managed to blog lately at all...I think Beryl has done a marvelous job...and that book looks yummy too
    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I am losing brain cells too... but I have a brian cell...!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My remaining brain cell is called 'Carol'..it really only works when music is playing at Christmas time! Maybe that is why I haven't made softies either..for a very long time..the last one was a 'cabbage patch' doll that was for my nearly 30 yr old daughter..when she was 3..hehe! Do you count cushions? I do make some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really love the birds!!! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just love the peacock in the book! they are all splendid!

    ReplyDelete

Hellloooooo !!!!