Monday, July 6, 2009

It flowed...........

Yesterdays (much needed ) serenity was quite productive.
The dolly scarves got cast off (Thanks for all the tips)
The flower got finished. This is a plastic stem with a half Styrofoam ball covered in felt. The petals are felt, and each one is wired so that they are pose-able. The centre bits of random fibres were needle felted onto the felt. In the centre of the flower is a Velcro patch so that 3 of the petals (also velcro'd) can be pulled off and replaced.
Hopefully it meets all the criteria!
French knitting- Kind of.
School concert is upon us once again and it is the job of a few of us to try and make the crazy costume ideas a reality. We also aim for the kids to have a hand in making their own costumes, so yesterday saw me attempting some french knitting without a knitting Nancy. A friend at work had described this technique to me and it sounded ideal. I needed the tubular nature of french Knitting but larger - so I french knitted on my fingers....It worked out so well. I am sure the kids will manage it - and they can each make up a little cardboard hand to "hang' their knitting from as they go.

Four dollies got faces (They have been faceless for weeks)

I finished stencilling on a skirt and yes, the mannequin is standing on the kitchen bench and No ! I am not that skinny, there are many an inch pinned in the back I can assure you.
The stencil is from the Ed Roth book Stencil 101.
I traced the stencil with a water soluble marker and painted it with fabric paint.


and then, with no intention of further freaking out Sooz, who got a little excited that I was actually knitting! I went and made a garment - and whats more it actually fits.
I know it is all uppish on one side but again that is due to the many inches pinned in the back to stop it falling off the mannequin. It is some denim stuff and a panel of Aunty Cookie because sticking to the actual pattern was freaking me out.
All it needs is hemming!
See what a bit of serenity can do.....

34 comments:

  1. You have been a busy little beaver! I am very impressed -

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flower is spectacular. How can it not be exactly what they are looking for. And the skirt is so cute with the scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skirt with scissors, too. The dollies have LOVELY faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fingers have been busy getting stuck into so many pies!! I'm super impressed, especially with the skirts. Love the red panel. Who needs jeans with skirts like that???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serenity is fantastic eh?! Your flower is gorgeous Jodie, I love that you can pose it and move the petals with velcro. The skirts are grouse too... great stencil! :-)

    Thanks so much for all your tips on where to find woollen fabrics - much appreciated! :-)

    Vikki xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since my kids discovered I have no ability whatsoever to knit (with needles) without looking, they have become five finger knitting multi-tasking show-offs. As evidenced this morning, the little blighters were indulging in holiday biffo while knitting their scarves...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, did you say you did that all in one day?? What kind of productivity juice are you on?? And will you become my supplier of it? What an incredibly beautiful bunch of things you made!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jod,
    I've been searching for the perfect denim skirt, did you sew both of them? They're gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Serenity is some pretty powerful stuff. Can I get me some on Etsy?

    Sigh. Can't wait for my kids to be a bit bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You beat me making a skirt!!!!! I just love what you have made too- clever Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh please pass on some of those good serenity vibes...
    what fantastic work you got done...
    love the stencil and great idea with the hand...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your work Jodie, the flower is my favourite colour, cool skirt and lovely faces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Super effort!! :) Your girls are so cute... I think I might need to get myself a pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the flower. It looks amazing. The dolly faces look gorgeous, as always. Love the skirts. The stencil and the panel look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HIya, I think your flower is awesome. I love that you can remove some petals. Very clever. Peta

    ReplyDelete
  16. the flower is brilliant.. and I love the fact that your got twitchy at following a pattern to the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sheesh the serenity works wonders at your place. I'm amazed at how you managed to power through all that craftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Serenity suits you!!

    Love the skirt and that scissor stencil is fab!

    There's nothing better than a day of serene stitching :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice bit of french finger knitting - I still love my knitting nanna (or nancy) though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute skirt and I just love the dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've sewed up a storm! I just love those free hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cardboard hand is so clever! Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! You've done loads! I need a holiday! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm just saying. . . anyone who can make a skirt can make jeans. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. All I want to do right now is knitknitknit (not that I can knit mind you, but that's a minor detail). Or needlefelt. Of course I have a to-do list a mile long.

    And now I want to have a go at making my own clothes! Loving the skirt with the Cookie print. Fab!

    Holly x x

    http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nothing like a bit of serenity to up the production! I'm dead impressed ;-)

    Love the denim skirt/s! Coloured panel, scissors and all!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the garment with Shannon's fabric. Clever, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  28. love that skirt with the scissors! that little strip of red fabric isj ust lovely. your dollies faces are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing what one can get done with a bit of serenity... love it all Jodie!!
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  30. Freaked out in a GOOD way...

    ReplyDelete
  31. love the skirt, i love a simple A-Line skirt zooped up with some fabric fabrics and a print... oou have given me some ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE the scissor skirt! That is the cutest darn thing! I own that stencil book too...isn't it great? I have yet to use a stencil from it, but your craftiness is inspiring me, so thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hellloooooo !!!!