Sunday, May 27, 2007

Whiplash challenge.

The hardest part of this challenge may be me trying to get the whiplash button on here !!!
As part of the Whiplash challenge on Whip up I have made a doll quilt or miniature quilt.

I had so much fun with this that I thought I'd show you how I did it. (Mind you it is so easy I am sure you could just wing it).


Yep.... thats right its all made from selvedge !!! I just love how it turned out !! I am soo excited by this I am planning a bigger project !




  1. Step 1. Cut the selvedged edge off your fabrics leaving 1/4 inch of fabric (this becomes your seam allowance.) Then with right sides together sew two pieces together and press open, showing selvedge.




  2. Step 2. If you have nice thick selvedge you may be able to join one pair to another pair - giving you four (or more) joined togetherwithout losing all the details.





  3. Step 3. When you have pieced a few strips together you can begin to foundation piece them. I cut (ripped) a piece of very light cotton to the size I wanted and then simply began sewing the strips on. Sew as close to the very edge as you can but remember that this is the selvedge so it is not going to fray.



  4. Step 4. Continue on adding your little pairs of selvedge strips ( or bigger ones) until you have the size you require. I used my walking foot for this part.


5.

Step 5. When you have pieced all your strips , turn over your work and trim the edges, squaring up if you need to.


Step 6. I used cotton batting in this little quilt and I quilted it very simply by running some lines of stitching across the quilt in a "stitch-in-the-ditch style. My finished quilt is almost fat quarter sixe measuring approx 18 x 20 inches. Then of couse a bit of binding and your done !!!


I really love this project and am keen to do a bit more with selvedges. I have been chopping them off every scrap of fabric in the stash.

The added bonus to this project is, when asked about all the fabric in the stash I can honestly say "of course I use them all I have put almost all of them into a quilt !"

Miss Eloise says it is very snuggly !





whipup

35 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie,
    Love miss Eloise and her blankee. What a fantastic use of the selvedges. I hope you don't mind if I copy you and make one myself.Looove it. Who is a clever girl! Good luck with the competition!
    Love Mel! ps my youngest daughter's middle name is Eloise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracious no I don't mind. Do make one - it is heaps of fun.
    Eloise' is actually called "Eloise lemon squeeze" after a little girl who used to go to my school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! How clever to use the selvedges. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eloise looks beautiful. You are very clever using the selvedges. I often think what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great--I'm amazed you were able to make it so perfectly even. I guess I need to learn to sew straighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute! What a fantastic idea! You are so creative. And I'm glad you finally told us what you were doing with the selvedges, I've been dying waiting! ~A :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute idea - I NEVER would have thought to do something like that, but it gives it sort of a novelty feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, so I'm loving that! It's like a lovely little time capsule of your quilting. Bravo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful quilt - i have a bag of selvedge edges knowing that they are going to come in handy sometime... great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jodie, you are SO clever - you keep coming up with such great ideas! The doll is also gorgeous, and you've written a great tutorial. From now on, I'm keeping those selvedges!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is absolutely adorable! I can't even believe what an ingenious, lovely idea that is. I'm so going to try that for the mini quilt I'm determined to make one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I followed the link from Whiplash and your quilt is really wonderful. I just saw the PBS documentary Craft in America last night and there was a part about quilting and String Quilts, well you take that idea and turn it on its head. Brilliant - making art out of the mundane!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like this little quilt - I would love love love to work on something bigger with selvedges but used quite a stash for this little quilt.....I guess that means I need more fabric ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so clever. Of course now I will never be able to throw those selvedge bits away anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great project! I am so sad thinking of all the selvedges I've thrown away!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I posted a photo a few days ago on my blog of a whole quilt my friend made with selvedges. I LOVE the idea to make a doll quilt with them:) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fun quilt. And really pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the idea! I have knitted scarves using leftover fabric and I am sure the selvedges tied together to form a nice ball o yarn would come in handy the same way. I love it when ideas start bouncing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh - I love everyones ideas and I wish I knew how to answer individually to all the comments. I love the idea of a ball of selvedge yarn - How cool would that be?????
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jodie! It's nice to find another blogger from Victoria! I also work library part-time (great for sourcing the new craft books as soon as they come in!) I really like the numbered coloured dots on the selvedge strips - great idea! I don't understand though why you needed to sew the strips onto the cotton piece? Is it to keep them straight? (I haven't done foundation piecing before). Have you seen the doll quilt swap? Check out http://dollquiltswap.wordpress.com/
    I am also doing it as my first ever swappy thing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This reminds me of the old cigar box silk quilts I've seen around. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have been sewing lots and think of you often because now I cut off the selvedge. Have quite a little pile to send you, Jodie, for your next brilliant project!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that. I've always hated throwing away that strip of fabric. It can be pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've quite a stash of selvedges, and since I've seen you love them so much, can I send them to you? I'll keep collecting them for you if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what an awesome idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that.
    http://www.chinesepal.cn/first/learn-chinese/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very cool, I will keep it in mind, especially if I ever get a baby girl GD. I saw a fabric quilted postcard made from selvages. I hadn't saved them in the past until someone asked for them & I just sent a bag of selvage squishies to an internet friend, I think she uses them for "Heartstrings" blocks. If you need more.......!
    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  30. From one Jodie to another:
    Oh my goodness- using the selvedge edges to mastermind such cute things is ingenious :) I will definitely have to start keeping mine!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a clever way to use every bit of fabric that one has.

    And so cute!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so great! I have mode doll's quilts in the past using pillowcase hems, I hated wasting the strips when I was making other projects.

    ReplyDelete

Hellloooooo !!!!